TL;DR: Filter signal from the noise; look at the big picture, choose
wisely and decide for Gentoo. If you proceed, fill the category... :)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:27:26 +0200
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> It was discussed with the games team way before I gave the chance for
> people to do some bikeshedding here.

If you refer to this thread as "bikeshed on dev-ML" before posting it;
I would not be surprised it ends up with bikeshedding, it is in first
instance a result of the way you post it and the replies you expect.

> > > any objections? Will commit in 1 week if no one replies.

Why would we post actual objections? You commit it regardless of that.
Very strictly; you wouldn't commit this, since we replied. But yeah,
you see that that doesn't work out; so this statement is meaningless.

I don't favor a side before or against; I just would like to see
requests similar to these filed and dealt with in a more appropriate
and consistent matter, instead of inviting people to and people
participating with bikeshedding.

Not singling you out here, because there are two sides needed to a
bikeshedding discussion; and this is really not the only bikeshedding
discussion we have seen in a while. Well, is it really bikeshedding?

As a summary; Diego and Donnie and Ulrich both think it is too small,
Rich and Peter would like to see some organization happen, Ciaran and
Steven got clarified that once you do this you can't easily go back.
Damien and Michael, two users, would like to see genres.

This is all useful feedback; while I guess nobody would really object
unless someone gets frustrated and goes DevRel / Council, I think that
as long as there is no formal easy way to vote (and there is no rule to
take this to Council afaik) that it ends up being your _own_ (not Games)
decision whether you really want to proceed with this or not.

My only opinion on this matter is that I hope you would look at the big
picture; and not just a small pictures of some packages that need to
move, because there is a chance it could end up making the big picture
worse. Well, unless you've looked at the big picture and it improves.

So, assuming you commit; let's try to make the category more useful!

A quick search yields 5 adventure games listed here and there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games
http://freegamedev.net/wiki/Complete_open_source_games
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/the_five_free_adventure_games_you_should_be_playing_right_now

And once in a while, on an adventure; you find a goldmine:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Games/Adventure/

Not sure if all are open-source, but this way you can fill the category.

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:19:15 -0600
Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > The only opinions that matters on this is the game team's.
> > You will not commit this in 1 week if no one replies, only with
> > express approval by them.

Is that your opinion, or is it an actual rule? Other than serving as a
team to help check your contributions, to discuss with, to ask
questions to; they don't have a final say on this as far as I am aware.

The first response on my very first Gentoo commit was "no random
tossing things into the Games category"; it gave me a false impression
you need to contact people before committing to categories, which is
not at all the case. If I want to contribute to a games category; I'll
be happy to come take a visit first because you provide the service to
review, but I won't see Games' opinion as one that matters the most.

Similarly, when pushing a new category; I don't see what a herd would
have to do with this. Let's say I want to split the net-proxy category
in two; or maybe do some mad category stuff with the kernel, or maybe
something possibly useful with dev-java containing over 550 packages?

Do I really _only_ need to ask my herd about this? I don't think so...

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:27:26 +0200
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.

Thanks for listening.

- --
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D