On 07/21/2013 07:42 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> I am maintaining it for some months now and it has reached a state
>> where we should think about treecleaning it.
>
> ++
>
>> Maintaining a package in gentoo implies a few things for me:
>> We are able to support it properly which either means that we can
>> communicate with upstream or at least (if that fails) fix bugs on our
>> own. Currently, both does not apply to googleearth which means we
>> cannot resolve a lot of bugs in any way.
>> Also... software in the tree should meet a minimum of quality and we
>> should not support vulnerable and broken software officially.
>
> From your description it seems like Google Earth is really pushing it.
>  I wouldn't call it "vulnerable" and "broken" though - software is
> only vulnerable if there is a known exploit.  Bundling libraries is
> bad practice because it increases the risk of such vulnerabilities
> existing, but on its own shouldn't be grounds for removal.  It
> certainly has the potential to increase the workload for maintainers
> though.
>
> My sense is that none of the problems you listed should really be
> considered a reason that something MUST be removed from the tree, but
> they certainly tend to add up.  If somebody wants to take over
> wrestling with it I don't think we should look down on that though.
>
> Rich

I have no problem with maintaing it, but that does not change my opinion
that it's simply not fit for the tree.

I'd maintain it in an overlay then where we can play with hacks and
whatnot to get it working.

But people should expect that things work somehow in the tree, even on
~arch. Even worse: the stable googleearth builds are unfetchable and
that's not how I'd define any stable ebuild in the tree.