On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 04:40:38PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Also, not all fixes are equal.  The ones that are the biggest concern
> are security fixes.

How do you _know_ which fixes are security fixes?

> If you tell me that the kernel has a new exploit
> 2x/week then I'll start to wonder when the kernel team started
> outsourcing to MS.  Most fixes provide no benefit to most users.
> Upgrading kernels on Gentoo is not automatic either, especially if you
> have an initramfs, complex configuration, modules in outside packages
> (nvidia, virtualization, etc), and so on.

I'm releasing, on the average, 3 new kernel versions a week, with 100+
patches in them (for different branches.)  Sometimes more.  Please tell
me exactly how you are going to evaluate which fixes I make are security
fixes, and you know which to pick and choose from.

Trust me, it's a hard problem, people have tried it in the past, and
failed horribly :)

> It just seems like we should be able to get by without a semiweekly
> kernel upgrade on our "stable" branch.

You want me to slow down and do releases in larger chunks then?  Hah,
not a chance...

good luck,

greg k-h