On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Doug Goldstein wrote:
> >
> > sys-apps/etckeeper is what you want. Works great. It even has portage
> > integration. Though I'd recommend going with the ~arch version instead
> > of stable for that portion.
> >
> > --
> > Doug Goldstein
>
> I think this is something dispatch-conf does too.  I use that but still
> make a backup myself, just in case.  Generally, a successful reboot is a
> good sign that the configs are working.
>
> Going to look into this but the home page doesn't really show me much, yet.

You'll want USE=cron enabled so that you get the benefits of etckeeper
taking a note of someone or something changing a config and not committing
it. Additionally without USE=cron, when you emerge the next package
etckeeper will think that the most recent package you emerged changed a
file that it didn't if you manually changed a file.

Once that's done just do:
# etckeeper init -d /etc
# bzcat /usr/share/doc/etckeeper-1.7/examples/bashrc.bz2 >>
/etc/portage/bashrc

And you're set.

--
Doug Goldstein