On 08/21/2013 07:04 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
Hi,

It's time of year again to consider moving a few arches to dev-only status.

I propose the following arches to lose their stable keywords

- s390
- sh
- ia64
- alpha
- m68k
- sparc

Mips, as you know, has been ~arch for a while and we've been doing just fine with it.

We can't pretend, however, that this doesn't shift some burden to the user. One example is perl where some modules need 5.12.4 (the current stable) and cannot use 5.16.x (~arch). On mips you might emerge 5.16.3 only to hit a module later that insists on 5.12.4, thus requiring downgrading. There are other examples where dependencies track stable but not unstable. This is in addition to the usual breakage on the bleeding edge.

If I get enough positive feedback on this, I will propose this in the
next Council's agenda.

Or no serious negative feedback. I don't think you will. I can support this.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]