> Could appending to DOCS be allowed? I have seen a lot of time of me
> needing to install all docs "manually" only to add a doc file over
> default DOCS. Would be interesting to simply do: DOCS+=( otherfile )

> instead of needing to specify all files handled by the install
> function

We discussed this in bug 449806 already. Problems that need to be
solved:
- If we want to keep support for both array and whitespace-separated
  list then we can't preset a global variable.
- How do we distinguish between DOCS being unset (i.e. install default
  docs) and DOCS being empty (i.e. don't install anything)?
- We could introduce some special syntax like a __default__ marker,
  but do we want such in-band signalling?

Ulrich