On 09/10/2013 09:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Richard Yao <r...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> 1. The kernel expects -fno-stack-protector to be the default. What will
>> the effect be on kernel configuration once -fstack-protector is the default?
>
> Nothing, since the kernel build system doesn't source make.conf.  If
> somebody creates an ebuild that actually installs a kernel then it
> might be an issue, though it could be filtered if it is a problem.

My understanding is that this change would be made to GCC's spec files,
which affects everything that uses GCC.

>> 2. We should make sure that -fno-stack-protector is a supported CFLAG.
>> This will make it easier to handle complaints from the vocal minority of
>> our user base that want every last percentage point of performance.
>
> No reason that it would be any less supported than -fstack-protector
> already is.

Just making certain.

>> 3. I would like to point out that we are talking about deviating from
>> upstream behavior and everyone is okay with it. Anyone who thinks we
>> should stick to upstream when it is not good for us should speak now or
>> risk being asked "where were you when..." whenever they try to use
>> upstream as an excuse to hold back progress. ;)
>
> I don't really see this as an issue - in general maintainers are
> expected to accommodate reasonable CFLAGS.  This doesn't mean that
> arbitrary CFLAGS are "supported" so much as bugs should be taken
> seriously if they're really bugs.  If -fstack-protector causes serious
> problems and this is inherent to the nature of the package/etc then
> just filter it.  If it causes problems because upstream isn't doing
> things right, then this is no different than how things were 10 years
> ago when we were stomping out amd64 issues left and right (not working
> on amd64 wasn't a reason to mask a package for x86, but we didn't
> accept "upstream doesn't care about amd64" as an excuse).
>
> Staying close to upstream is a good philosophy in general.  I don't
> think that means that we can't have reasonable CFLAGS.  Otherwise we
> wouldn't set CFLAGS at all and would just use whatever defaults the
> upstream build system applies.  We're a distro - doing integration
> work is a value-add, not a sin.  If we aren't doing integration, then
> users might as well just do Linux-from-scratch.
>
> Rich

Past events have led me to think that we are sometimes too dependent on
upstream for guidance.  I have certainly deviated from upstream whenever
it made sense and the results have been fairly positive. I am not saying
that acting for the best interests of Gentoo is mutually exclusive with
collaboration with upstream, but I am saying that the two sometimes
conflict. This being one of them. I am taking this opportunity to point
out that what is best for Gentoo should come first and that it is okay
to make decisions on our own.