On 11/09/2013 06:02 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfri...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:

>>> Since this thread was deemed necessary, apparently it's not.
>>> Or at least not clearly stated.
>>>

>> It was not clear, and we should officially clarify it somewhere in the
>> documentation.
>>
>> (I also learnt as a recruit that "versionless dependency is fine if all
>> versions in the portage tree fulfill it". As a consequence I have been
>> regularly dropping version dependencies from ebuilds for simplification if
>> the
>> excluded versions were long gone from the tree.)
>
> For what gain? It seems to only allow breakage when updating old systems

I've also dropped minimum version requirements in the past.  I
wonder if there a performance hit?  If every package in the tree
specified min versions of all its dependencies, would resolution
of emerge -avuDN world take longer?  (It does take a couple of
minutes already on my aging laptop...)

Cheers,
Thomas

--