On 11/13/2013 09:16 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> On 13/11/13 09:55 AM, Thomas Kahle wrote:
>> On 11/13/2013 03:30 PM, Duncan wrote:
>>> Rich Freeman posted on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:37:51 -0500 as
>>> excerpted:

>>> FWIW, I believe at least part of the confusion here is based
>>> on differing definitions of "supported".
>
>> I agree.  Generally however, we should think Gentoo (or the open
>>  source ecosystem) more bazaar, less cathedral.  Libraries have
>> interfaces, and they are supposed to be mixed and matched
>> according to the interface definitions.  We (Gentoo) should not
>> think of "Gentoo stable" as a fixed product like "iOS-7".  It has
>> come a long way, but philosophically I still think of Gentoo as a
>> kind of automated Linux-from-scratch (where you also mix and
>> match whatever you find on the Internets).
>
>> In the end it boils down to what we mean by "supported".  For me
>>  "supported" does not mean "tested".  As you point out, testing
>> every combination forbids itself.  Supported for me means that
>> the argument "you mixed stable and unstable" is not per se valid.
>>  There's a huge difference between
>
>> You mixed unstable firefox with stable gcc
>
>> and
>
>> You mixed unstable X server with stable protocols.
>
>> For me mixing the trees is supported in the sense that I would
>> apply rational judgement to bugs.  If they are of the second
>> type, it can be said in a polite way that we as Gentoo can't do
>> anything about this combination not working.
>

> The term "supported" is a rather overloaded term which tends to
> mean different things in gentoo depending on the context that it is
> used (and who's using it), for sure.  It's also not analogous to
> "working" or "expected to work", at all, imo.
>
> I wonder if it might be a good idea to have a discussion and reach
> consensus on what the Gentoo (Developer) definition of "Supported"
> should actually be, and document this somewhere so that ambiguity
> can be officially removed.

Not a developer, but when I see discussions about things that are
unsupported by the dev team, I think of it as "This is a special case
that's outside of our workflow and would add an exponential amount of
work for us if we tried to support it." Support, in this context, I
think refers to supporting bug reports and use cases. As mentioned
previously, it's impossible to account for every combination. If
developers stick to pure arch or pure ~arch, it's a hell of a lot
simpler to carry out the job, and I totally respect that.

I've had minimal problems mixing ~arch and arch, but based on what
I've read and my understanding of FOSS culture in general... "If you
go off the beaten path and break something, you get to keep the pieces."

Surely I'm not alone in that understanding. It's simple and closer to
pragmatism than any perceived malice or laziness that some may be
assuming about the developers.

~Daniel