Rich Freeman wrote:
> Now that Gentoo apparently offers a wide selection of network
> managers, perhaps it makes sense to have the user pick which
> one they want to use.

+1

Rick Zero_Chaos Farina wrote:
> Choice is fine, I love choice, but to have a user unpack a stage tarball
> and find no way at all to handle their networking.... that's just ugly.

The system where you unpack the stage likely already handles networking.

> I would say it is rare enough to not need net that removing all
> networking options from stage3 is near suicidal.

I disagree. Not everything is connected. I also like that there's no
syslog and no cron in stage3.

> I can do all kinds of amazing things on a system without an MTA.
> But if I have no net I can't even install net....

If you need net then make sure to install the manager you prefer
during installation.

I think that makes a lot of sense.

//Peter