On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Well, given that systemd unit files don't express dependencies ...

Sure they do.  They declare wants, after, wantedby, etc.  Looking in
my /usr/lib/systemd/system it seems like all the units I looked at
declared their dependencies.  I don't know how systemd could do
parallel service startup otherwise.

Of course, the challenge will be that those dependencies are against
other systemd units/targets/etc and not against openrc scripts.  For
the standards stuff you could translate, or perhaps even create
virtual services as a translation layer.  Also, systemd dependencies
could be against sockets vs full services, so again that is a
translation challenge (though openrc could still wait until the full
service is launched and not manage sockets).

I'm just thinking that in the long term it seems likely that upstream
will be supplying working systemd units, and fairly unlikely to supply
working openrc scripts.  If there is a shift of devs towards running
systemd that could translate into daemons in the tree that don't have
openrc scripts but do have systemd units.  A compatibility layer would
make that less of an issue.  However, just as devs and users
frequently submit systemd units for packages that don't have them, I'm
sure that the same will happen for packages that lack openrc scripts.

Rich