On 12/02/14 01:51, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
>> USE="gtk3" is valid only for libraries when it's not easy to
>> split/slot as a temporary flag. Applications should simply pick one,
>> the latest one that works, since anything else is obviously
>> redudant.
> I don't see why applications should be treated differently from
> libraries. If a program supports more than one toolkit, then the
> choice should be left to the user. Nothing redundant there.
>
> Ulrich

For libraries it's forced, like eg. libcanberra's gtk3 version for GNOME
and gtk2
version for Xfce due to direct use of NEEDED, headers, pkg-config etc.

But applications is whole different story...

The maintainer makes the decision which toolkit is used and best supported.
If some application has initial port to gtk3, but still lacks some
features the gtk2
version still had, then maintainer makes the smart choice of using the
version
that has all the features, if the maintainer deems those features important.
There is no point in having them in parallel, it only increases the
workload,
making maintainer do double-testing of the application, not to mention the
work it causes later when gtk2 is slated obsolete as gtk1 is now

Sometimes I think people have already forgotten the mess we had during the
gnome1 removal times with USE="gtk2" :-(

- Samuli