On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 09:11 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2014-02-20, o godz. 01:44:17
> Steev Klimaszewski <st...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> > > that would suggest it's fine to use, and is anything but temporary
> > >
> > > -1 from here
> > >
> > MATE desktop (which I hope to bring in to Portage soon) can be built
> > against gtk+ 2 or gtk+ 3, and upstream supports doing both, so +1 from
> > me.
>
> Except that now users have to use USE='gtk gtk3' to get GUIs in random
> applications that support only one toolkit. And then handle
> REQUIRED_USE mess for packages that support choosing one of the two.

Sorry?  Still better than forcing things on because it allows me to be
lazy.

> > Just because gtk+ 3 is the latest, does not mean it's the greatest,
> > and I really wish people would realize that newest != bestest.
>
> Yet it's supported, unlike GTK+2. I really wish people would actually
> step up to fix bugs when the time comes rather than shouting about their
> right to choose.

Who is shouting about right to choose?  In fact, I see only MATE in
capital letters there, and that's because that's the way that it's
written by upstream.  Just because you enjoy forcing people to do things
your way, doesn't mean everyone feels the need to be controlling.  I'm
cool with giving the users choice, it doesn't HAVE to be done, but I'm
not so against it that I insist they follow my one true way...