On 01/03/14 02:18, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 2:03 AM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> I keep hearing this, but I really don't see how it's relevant.  I'm sure
>>> you'll find lots of things in your life that you use for some purpose
>>> other than what they were originally invented forĀ¹, and there's no
>>> reason why /usr should be any different.  All that matters is whether or
>>> not the newer reasons for having separate /usr actually provide a benefit.
>> And I would argue that the maintenance cost of having separate /usr in a
>> general sense is much higher than the benefit it provides.
>>
>> The problem with it is that it is next to impossible nowadays to define
>> what should go in / vs what should go in /usr.
>>
>> William
> Now it is difficult as too much time it was ignored.

Nod
If only Portage had supported checking if files from /usr were used by
files installed to /
Hard to create check for every case, but something like libraries and NEEDED
entries (bug 443590) would have been a start
But there simply wasn't enough popular demand for sep. /usr, so nobody
was willing to do the work