Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> If a user has i.e. SSL="polarssl" in make.conf and emerges things that
> don't have polarssl on their list, then those things won't have SSL
> support at all, right?

Wrong; I would expect emerge to throw an error at me and exit, rather
than to fail (build the package without respecting my SSL choice)
silently.

> what's the difference in using the SSL use expand here, or just
> having packages directly IUSE="+ssl gnutls +openssl nss polarssl"

The way I see it, the difference is that USE=ssl goes away, and
that setting SSL could then imply +ssl, and SSL=foossl would
correctly fail to build any IUSE=barssl package.

//Peter