On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 10:42:17PM +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robb...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > No, I don't agree that kernel configs "belong" to kernel packages.  In
> > general, barring the crazy option explosion, these are meant to be stock
> > working configs that should in combination with ANY kernel package,
> > produce a working kernel.
> >

> Then you are just moving the problem around.
> I believe that kernel configs should be provided by their own kernel
> packages (and there are some, not just gentoo-sources) because it is
> much easier to keep them in sync on every new release and deal with
> each version separately if/as needed (including testing!). How are you
> dealing with config var name changes between different kernel versions
> or just different pkgs then?
>
> You cannot possibly support all kernel versions for all kernel pkgs
> available in tree with just one single config file in a sane, clean
> and maintainable way, hoping that a change in this file will not
> affect previous or future kernel releases. How are you going to test
> your config changes against old kernel pkgs? Each test is quite
> expensive to run.
I never said I was going to support all different kernel sources.

genkernel only officially supports gentoo-sources & hardened-sources.
(and those are supersets of the vanilla tree).

The stock genkernel config actually works for most users, on most kernel
sources, on most systems; and parts of it date back to 2.6.14. Sure it
doesn't turn on all of the features requested, but it does actually
work.

That said, I do intend to included an official kernel config for each
major kernel release 3.x; for both hardened & gentoo-sources. Infra uses
the hardened one, and releng uses the gentoo-sources one.

The only change really is that the packaging is going to be separate
from genkernel, and it'll get a bit more care than before.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead