Ben Kohler wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org
> <mailto:ssuomi...@gentoo.org>> wrote:
>

>     Wrong.   I'm always using the -t (--tree) flag with Portage and I
>     would
>     have seen upower being the culprit immediately,
>     and second command would have been `eix upower` to see available
>     versions, at which point I would have seen
>     upower-pm-utils, and figured it out.
>
>     - Samuli
>
> I'm glad this fire has mostly been put out, but I think you are making
> quite a leap here that normal users can "see upower-pm-utils, and
> figure it out".  You may be too close to this problem to understand
> just how confusing it is to everyone else.
>
> No offense intended.
>
> -Ben

As a user, I have ran into blockers quite a few times.  I either end up
asking on -user or using the trial and error approach.  A lot of the
time, the trial and error approach fails and I still end up posting on
-user or find where someone else beat me to it.  It's rare with the
output that portage gives that I can figure out why something is
blocking.  Generally this is just a issue of a different version of the
same package being needed.

Given that in this case it is a entirely different package that is
needed to resolve it, I certainly would have been posting on -user.
Unless portage spelled it out that I needed to use a different package
all together, it would have never occurred to me.

I might add, I been using Gentoo since 2003.  I'm not a dev for sure and
don't do scripting stuff so diggin in the ebuilds doesn't generally help
me much either.

Just a users point of view.

Dale

:-)  :-)