On 06/10/2014 11:45 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
[lots of whining removed ;) ]

> I don't know why CVS is still used for Gentoo main repository,
> probably some infrastructure elements depends deeply on its
> internals, because I see of no other reason why Git is still not
> used despite efforts ongoing for last several years.

One part of it: Manpower. Few people have worked on the git migration,
and those are often busy with more important things (like work, life,
other gentoo issues)

Another part: Git wasn't ready.
The first migration attempt failed after consuming nearly 100GB of RAM!
When it did work it took obscene amounts of time, and the result was
unusably large (e.g. initial checkout would take 16GB RAM on the server,
thus not allowing a few hundred devs to do checkouts the same day).
The current state is almost usable, but it is still obscenely slow (e.g.
initial clone taking ~10 CPU-minutes just to figure out what to do), but
we can just throw more hardware at it.
(10 minutes @ 3.6Ghz, so on my notebook it'll take about 4h to just
clone the friggin repository. Too awesome!)

Another part: Few people thought about the difficult problems in the
migration. For example the rsync mirrors, which will still be used - the
scripts that generate those will need to be changed, tested, and then
replaced if a migration ever happens.

If you fix all those you may have a chance, but with the current
performance pessimization I don't see git as viable for nontrivial
repositories. Seriously, I won't wait a few hours for it to clone, even
CVS is faster than that!

So get busy, figure out how to help, then your complaints will not be in
vain :)

Have fun,

Patrick