On 06/16/2014 15:47, hasufell wrote:
> Jeroen Roovers:
>> On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:31:58 +0000
>> hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Also check the history of this thread for a few proposed solutions.
>>
>> The history of this thread and the history of gx86-multilib and
>> crossdev development suggest that crossdev was doing nothing wrong until
>> gx86-multilib came around and a problem was found between them. Masking
>> either for the benefit of the other would be, and let me quote the
>> history of this thread out of context just to fit in with the tone and
>> mode this sub-thread has taken, "asinine".
>>

> This isn't about right or wrong. This is about actual breakage on stable
> systems.
>
> Solutions were proposed, nothing has happened for months.
>
> So I don't see what else we can do here other than taking more radical
> steps to INFORM users of these possible breakages... and that's exactly
> what a hardmask is for.

What about those of us who have been using crossdev to generate
cross-compilers for years w/o issue, because we run non-multilib?
Hardmasking crossdev to solve multilib problems doesn't accomplish anything,
other than just irk us.  Why not hardmask the multilib stuff instead and
leave crossdev alone?

Neither hardmask solution is viable, since you'll inconvenience one side for
the sake of the other.  That's not how you solve problems.

Is my understanding of the issue correct, in that, per Bug #500338, crossdev
was used to merge an i686-pc-linux-gnu cross-toolchain onto an
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu system, resulting in /usr/bin/cross-pkg-config being
linked to /usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config, which causes the problem
reported in that bug?

If so, is it sensible to allow crossdev to install a cross-toolchain when
the underlying machine architecture is the same, just a different ABI?
I.e., would a solution be to prevent i686-on-x86_64 or mips64-on-mips, but
still allow mips64-on-x86_64, and such?

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic