Hi everyone,

I'd like to announce a new subproject of Hardened Gentoo, Hardened musl [1]. musl is a new C standard library, optimized for embedded systems. It is "lightweight, fast, simple, free, and strives to be correct in the sense of standards-conformance and safety." [2] Like its sister subproject, Hardened uClibc [3], this project focuses on porting both userland and kernel hardening to musl based systems for a variety of architectures, treating musl as a drop in alternative to glibc. The releases are not "embedded" in the sense that most userland utilities are provided by busybox; rather, we make use of coreutils, util-linux, and other typical GNU utilities that you'd find on any regular Gentoo system.

The release images are stage3 tarballs built using catalyst and our automation scripts [4]. Unlike the uClibc project where most packages "just build", musl's adherence to standards means that many packages need some minor patching. These are kept on our hardened-dev overlay in the musl branch [5].

This is work in progress. The following table gives a brief summary of the current state of affairs:

Arch            Subarch            ABI(s) Flavors                  Status
amd64        Generic             default 64-bit hardened/vanilla   stage3
arm             armv7a             eabi hardened/vanilla   stage3
mips            mips32r2          o32 vanilla                  <in progress>
mips            mipsel3             o32 vanilla                  stage3
x86 i686 default 32-bit vanilla stage3

These are available on the mirrors at ${MIRROR}/expiermental/${ARCH}/musl.

Contributors:
Felix Janda <felix.ja...@posteo.de>