Jörg Schaible posted on Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:15:39 +0200 as excerpted:

> can somebody tell my, since when existing (and installed) ebuilds
> suddenly change without at least increasing the version number?

That has always been the case.  Existing ebuilds aren't always bumped for
changes, only if the changes are seen to be installation significant.  In
particular, dependencies generated in eclasses can change, thus changing
dependencies for the potentially many installed packages inheriting those
eclasses. It's thus possible to correct minor problems without forcing a
reinstall.

Tho that also means it's possible to screw things up, and occasionally
that does happen.  I personally run --update --deep with all my updates
here, and run ~arch (with gentoo/kde overlay live-kde) as well, and
believe that spares me some big forced-upgrade jumps since I tend to be
well ahead of the minimum version numbers and older, less current testing
ebuilds, but I do think it makes a difference.  Additionally, mostly
stable systems with a few ~arch keyworded packages is a known low-testing
and not always anticipated corner-case.  All-stable and all-~arch systems
are better tested and supported.

Without knowing/checking specifics and assuming it wasn't a stable/~arch
mixed-system issue, the problem here was likely a screwup.  Someone
didn't anticipate the effect of their update on your specific case,
triggering an unintended result.