On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP <
c...@colliertech.org> wrote:

> I've got a project on my plate to automate and reduce the human error in
> adding new VLANs, subnets, addresses, etc. to our production firewall
> fleet.  Today, we manually make modifications to the following on both
> members of the VRRP pair:

It sounds like the default init script isn't great for you.

Rather than write a generator for a static configuration file that is
consumed by a script, would it make more sense to modify the /etc/init.d
script to compute whatever you need on the fly?  I would think that would
make deployment more flexible and (depending on what you're trying to do)
perhaps eliminate the need for a manual configuration step.

I did that once for a Gentoo VM that needed to figure out a working network
configuration under a variety of hypervisors (the thing being distributed
to customers was the VM, and final setup was web-based, so it had to work
no matter what).

-Tim