On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:23:47 -0400
Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> This is something that should only be done on a case-by-case basis, as
> needed -- for instance, with virtual/krb5 only one provider can be
> installed at a time as they block eachother.
>
> We could leave it up to portage to error on mit-krb5 and heimdal being
> forced into the installation despite blocking eachother, but i think
> portage would have a better chance telling end-users about the
> conflict (and maybe helping to resolve it better via --autounmask?) if
> there was a REQUIRED_USE.

Okay, I didn't think of that. I'm not sure if the blocker deps or the
REQUIRED_USE would be more helpful for Portage, but generally I think
that the REQUIRED_USE error message is quite hard to understand for
unexperienced users -- much more so than the error generated by a
blocker dep.

"
   The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    heimdal? ( !mit-krb5 ) mit-krb5? ( !heimdal )"
"
might be a bit confusing to some people, and remember that constraint
string would grow much longer if there were more providers, as grows
quadratically.

Regards,
Luis Ressel