On 09/05/14 16:08, Michał Górny wrote:
Dnia 2014-09-05, o godz. 12:34:11
William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

there is a bug open requesting that we add sys-apps/iproute2 to the
system set [1]. Originally the request was to drop net-tools, but it has
become just adding iproute2.

If no one objects, I would like to do this sometime in the next 72
hours by adding sys-apps/iproute2 to profiles/default/linux/packages.

Thoughts?
I object. We should be keeping towards making @system as small
as possible, not adding random packages there just because someone
happens to use them often.

I don't like to say no when people want something, but I think here I'm with Michal. My idea of @system is that it must be the bare minimum to have a "working" system. And for a working system you need just enough toolchain, networking and python to be able to bootstrap into whatever you want to build from that point. We already have net-tools, so iproute2 is not needed.

Why can't you just emerge iproute2 from the stages we already have?

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]