> I would actually expect
> there to be a policy which forbids patches on live ebuilds. Make
> another live ebuild or maybe an overlay if you want to offer a
> different set of commits than the upstream repo.
>
> For me, the whole point of live ebuilds is that they are the latest
> upstream code, no more, no less.

While I agree with the rest of your message, there should be
exceptions from this rule IMO.

For example, maintainers of my project in other distros keep a set of
patches to enable building it with older compilers (as I use C++11
pretty extensively, and gcc 4.7 already cannot swallow all of it). The
patches for existing code hardly change ever, probably once in a few
months.
This is hardly applicable to Gentoo though as corresponding ebuilds
already require gcc >= 4.8.

--
  Georg Rudoy