On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> The bc utility is part of the posix tools and it might be used to build
> linux among the other stuff.

I'm fine with including useful utilities in the stage3s, as long as
they don't go into the system set.  We really need to get beyond
equating the two.  Otherwise our systems will become a jumble of stuff
that somebody finds useful for something, and then when we remove some
of it we'll get occasional breakage because nobody will declare them
as dependencies.  That just isn't in the spirit of Gentoo.

The system set should only contain stuff that a large percentage of
the tree needs to depend on (let's say more than 20%), or which is
required to be available to bootstrap the rest of the tree.

Once mix-in-like support is available, then profiles can be a dumping
ground for anything anybody finds useful, and the more the merrier...

--
Rich