On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 11:26:49PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > With this change, we implement the same end result (correctly labeled
> > files after installation) while removing the need for the DEPEND
> > dependency. After all, this was not a build-time dependency but a
> > "merge-time" one, which we abused a bit to make things work.
> >
> > With this change in place, we can now update the tree (at least, for
> > those packages that do not have other SELinux related dependency
> > requirements - those that link with libselinux still need it in
> > DEPEND of course) to remove the USE="selinux" conditional dependency
> > from DEPEND.
> >
> > Given the discussion on dynamic dependencies and so, I am thinking
> > about doing this as follows:
> >
> > 1. Create a tracker with separate bugs for every package where this
> > change can be made
> > 2. Give developers time to apply this (simple) change together with
> > whatever other changes they were planning.
> > 3. After 6 months or so, do the change myself (with revbump)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Is this a good approach to take?
> >
> > [...]
>

> LGTM; we should avoid unnecessary bumps & rebuilds for trivial changes,
> especially when a USE flag based dependency line is removed from DEPEND.

Michał Górny told me on IRC that I might be approaching this incorrectly (or
at least, inefficiently). I was working on the massive bug-spree (right now
stopped around 22% of the packages to investigate) so I'm temporarily
holding off until I'm certain.

The only change I want to instill on packages is to remove the USE="selinux"
specific dependency to a sec-policy/selinux-* package from the DEPEND
variable. So something like:

 DEPEND="
        foo
-       bar
-       selinux? ( sec-policy/selinux-bez )"
+       bar"

If I am allowed to do this change without revbumping, I can just stop making
massive bug reports and do the change(s) myself...

Someone? Pretty-please?

Wkr,
        Sven Vermeulen