Hi,

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:08:17 -0500 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 10:17 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
>
> >> Isn't it possible to disable C++ in GCC with USE="-cxx"?
> >
> > It is..  but unfortunately there's no way in DEPEND to ensure it's
> > satisfied, as you can have a gcc installed with that flag enabled but
> > have a second one (that's actually selected in gcc-config) with it
> > disabled.  A pkg_pretend check or a pkg_setup check (if you don't want
> > it to just fail in src_configure) is probably the best way to enforce
> > that one at this time.  Unless there are other ways I'm not aware of??
>
> Is this a case (as was recently suggested) where we're doing something
> stupid rather than asking for help from the PMS? This problem shows up
> in a few places -- off the top of my head:
>
>   * GCC (see sys-apps/systemd-217.ebuild)
>   * PHP (see comment in app-text/XML-Schema-learner-1.0.0.ebuild)
>   * Python (all over the place)
>   * Ruby (all over the place)
>
> Since all of the above are slotted, we can DEPEND on them, but we can't
> actually be sure that we're using the right slot at build time. The
> package manager knows that the right version is there, but it's not at
> the moment prepared to find and use it.
>
> Question 1: is it desirable to e.g. switch compilers, compile systemd,
> and then switch back?

This is definitely a good idea. Some packages are picky about gcc
versions, e.g. dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit usually lags behind the
latest available gcc version by one.

By the way we have another problem here: packages using cuda
build-time must require the same version of compiler as
nvidia-cuda-toolkit, or build will fail (app-crypt/johntheripper
[cuda] is a good example). Probably cuda eclass should be updated
to reflecth this change as well.

ATM I workaround issue with switching compilers to and from during
emerge run using app-portage/gcc-switcher from stuff overlay.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko