Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> > seriously ?
>> >
>> > $ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | head -n 1 | wc -w
>> > 94

Well, currently, we have at least 10-20 already:
At a very quick check (probably missing some), I found:

mmx sse sse2 aes-ni ssse3 sse3 sse4 sse4a sse4.1 sse4.2
3des 3dnow 3dnowext

and probably there are more to be added anyway
in future packages.

I am not even sure whether some of these sse4* are dupes
or not since they do not follow /proc/cpuinfo convention.
Some others do not follow this convention at all,
e.g. "sse3" is called "pni" in /proc/cpuinfo
or "aes-ni" is called "aes" in /proc/cpuinfo

This is mainly what I meant: Currently, users have to look
up how sse3 is called in /proc/cpuinfo to understand whether
their processor has support for it. This could be automated.

If not all of the 94 flags are included, it is perhaps not a drama;
my main suggestion is to follow /proc/cpuinfo convention in the
existing ones.

> but rather about writing the proper .desc file

Well, currently the descriptions are:

3dnow: Use the 3DNow! instruction set
mmx: Use the mmx instruction set
sse: Use the SSE2 instruction set
sse4_1: Enable sse4.1 acceleration

So they are practically useless unless you know anyway what the
corresponding processor flags mean.
I suggest to start with a "stub" .desc list, e.g.:

yyy: Use the yyy CPU feature, cf. /proc/cpuinfo

This is enough for the user to check on which of his systems he
might want it.  A more verbose description can be added for some
flags some day as a bonus; such a list can grow over time, and some
experts might want to send some patches to fix/extend the descriptions.
But why require for the start more than we have currently?
If there is no list to start with, then you can also not expect
that somebody will suggest patches (I mean: to a non-listed feature...)