On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 00:29:22 -0800
Christopher Head <ch...@chead.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:21:54 +0100
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > you will not see it if no package use it.
>
> I guess you mean I wouldn’t see it in emerge output if no package uses
> it, even if it is USE-expanded? Yes, I’m aware of that. But if all the
> flags are listed together in one place (I forget what the file was
> called—cpu.flags.use.desc or something?), then I can just open that
> file to see the list, hence why case 2 is better IMO—put all the
> entries in that file for users to look at, even if no package uses
> them yet.

So, you're telling me that if you have a list of 90 cpu extensions, you
will from time to time open that list to see if there is a 91st one
added ? I think most people won't even notice, at best they'll look for
the changelog.

Isn't it better to have a script, e.g. in gentoo-x86/scripts (that
would be the first of this kind here I think), that would
"parse" /proc/cpuinfo and output 'CPU_FLAGS_...="..."' so that for a
first install you can simply send its output to make.conf and, if you
are paranoid, can use it to check if this has changed in a postsync
hook ?

Alexis.