On 22 February 2015 at 18:06, Gordon Pettey <petteyg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Protect the permissions on the files, not the editors - there's always
> another way to get content into a file if you have write permission to it.
> If you try to do that with a g+xo-x, then you're going to have to do the
> same for every single command that can put output in a file (sed, curl,
> wget, heck, anything that can be piped, every shell), and then your system
> doesn't even need users anymore, because no user can do anything at all for
> fear they might write to a file!

Indeed, which is why I think Ulrich may have been joking =).

Though conceptually its a useful question, because gentoo are not going to
anticipate all the security strictures a user is likely to want.

For instance, perhaps a sysadmin simply wants to lock up GCC and make,
having a straight forward way do to that in bashrc would help them achieve
that, without them having to dish out a full ACL/LDAP setup, and without
then needing to retouch the perms manually every install.

And that would be preferable IMO than a system wide proliferation of USE
flags to regulate such a thing.

--
Kent

*KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL