On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Ben de Groot <yng...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 16 March 2015 at 21:54, Юра Цимбалов <yura.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That would be great, but it depends on getting newer mpv stable, while
>>> (s)mplayer2 is dead and broken right now.
>>
>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=mplayer2&list_id=2703540
>>
>> Why it's broken?
>
> As stated in my original message: See bugs 452484, 485994, 512082, 519212.

Obviously if software has serious issues it needs to be treecleaned,
but I seem to recall this package coming up in the whole ffmpeg
defaults discussion.

As I recall libav is now the default, and the argument was that users
should just use mplayer2 and such for compatibility.  Now it sounds
like stable users don't have that option, at least for a time.

This won't affect established users since I suspect 95% of them never
switched away from ffmpeg in the first place and if they did they'll
just start mixing keywords, but I imagine that this sort of thing will
be confusing at best for a new user.  If mplayer is the first package
they install they'll probably get told to fix their USE flags and be
fine.  If they first install something else that works with libav I
imagine things will get more confusing when they go to install
something like mplayer.

I'm not saying that we need to keep mplayer2 around.  I'm just saying
that we should be thinking about whether stuff like this makes the
Gentoo learning curve unnecessarily steep and what can be done to
mitigate it.  I'd really love it if we could eventually get some kind
of automated CI testing that just starts with a stage3 and all
defaults and tries to emerge a few key packages (kde on the kde
profile, gnome on the gnome profile, maybe xfce and a browser on the
default profile - the goal is to just pull in a bunch of very
common/generic stuff).  I occasionally do this in a chroot and on
occasion I'm a bit surprised by the results, but I haven't done this
too recently.

--
Rich