I recently found a need for the CoffeeScript compiler[0] that runs on
top of NodeJS. Its test suite requires a bunch of other javascript
packages, and I wound up packaging enough of them to test CoffeeScript.

In the process I wrote an eclass to handle packages hosted on the npm
registry[1] and install them globally. I put all of this in an overlay
for now:

  https://github.com/orlitzky/npm

We don't have any standalone javascript packages in the tree at the
moment but I know there's been some interest before. Is anyone still
(planning on) working on javascript stuff in-tree?

If not, I'll probably commit dev-lang/coffee-script to the tree without
its test suite. But if so, the eclass and few dev-js packages I have
might be a good start. Then I could add coffee-script with its test
suite working.

[0] http://coffeescript.org/
[1] https://www.npmjs.com/