On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 2:15 AM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 07:17:26PM +0400, Jason Zaman wrote:

>> > we are not talking about the same thing.
>> >
>> > I want to see the "diff" - not the graph.
>> >
>> > svn diff -r 1234
>> > git show <hash>
>> >
>> > show me the "merge" commit in diff format
>>
>> So this isn't a good comparison. You are asking for a merge commit in
>> git and a normal commit in svn. Svn can branch but it is so complicated
>> that no one ever does it. If you were similarly to never ever make
>> branches in git its not a huge deal. (There are not *that* many pushes
>> to the tree, if you look at #gentoo-commits there is plenty of time
>> between commits.)
>>
>> While I personally rebase almost all of my stuff, merges are important
>> when taking contributions. A good example would be the main linux kernel
>> tree, if Linus were to merge everything it would be incredibly difficult
>> to figure anything out.
>
> I'm with Duncan on this. I think I understand what he's asking for...
>
> I think he is asking the question, "What changed in commit <hash>".
>
> If you use the hash of a merge commit with "git show", you get nothing, so
> the merge commit is useless in terms of following changes.

That comment was from me (not Duncan)

I have responded to every point - 1 by 1, but the "passionate people"
(most polite term I can find) haven't addressed most of the "problems"
or why commit reordering is a particular problem in gentoo's typical
case.
--------
To avoid the ire of the bystanders - I'm out of this thread and maybe
those with more tact and tolerance carry this forward.