Dnia 2015-07-18, o godz. 12:01:48
Matthew Marchese <maffblas...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> I have recently pressed the reboot button on the ol' Installer project. I've
> been able to talk to quite a few developers one-on-one via IRC concerning my
> plans. Most seem to be in support of Gentoo having a "official" installer
> (the biggest concern is appears to be how things will be implemented and the
> amount of features involved). This e-mail is to fulfill GLEP 39's request for
> comments (RFC), concerns, requests, etc. Since I'm a little new to the
> project I'm coming with a bit of ignorance; I know the previous Installer
> project fostered mixed feelings.
>
> If you'd like to review before replying you can see the Wiki page and find
> the source on GitHub: https://github.com/gentoo/stager
>
> To summarize I'm writing it in pure Python 3. It first will be able to create
> full backups (stage 4s) and recoveries. After that is finished I plan to move
> on to installations. There will potentially be a web interface UI for it.
> Others are free to create other front-ends; to me a web UI makes the most
> sense and would probably require the least deps.
>
> I'd like to hear it all so please speak your mind. Looking forward to hearing
> from you.

On a semi-related note, I was thinking about doing a semi-related
project :).

I personally don't think Gentoo needs installer as-is. However, I think
we'd really benefit from having some kind of helper scripts / checklist
of tasks to be done prior to/after install.

For example, you'd run 'check-my-install' script and it'd tell you what
you likely forgot to set up :).

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny