WH> The other change I want to make, considering that the mount.* scripts
WH> will actually do the work of mounting the file systems, is to turn
WH> localmount and netmount into wrappers which will do nothing other than
WH> pull in the appropriate mounts. The sys admin would have to configure
WH> which mounts are local vs network using settings in
WH> /etc/conf.d/{local,net}mount.

WH> What do folks think of these changes?

For local filesystems, mount -a is exactly right and should remain.  At
least for those of us who prefer only ever halving to edit fstab(5).

Remote filesystems might be differnt, but for local filesystems the
status quo is better.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6