On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Expanding on this: the rsync master creates the following
> files/directories under metatdata. On my own system, I like to symlink
> them to locations outside my repo so that related portage features
> continue to work.
>
> I would like to have these added in .gitignore.
>
> metadata/dtd/ # used by something?
> metadata/glsa/ # used by the GLSA utilities?
> matadata/herds.xml # used by equery from gentoolkit
> metadata/news/ # used by eselect news

As a side note, it probably wouldn't hurt to set up a guide for
running git on /usr/portage, including setting up these symlinks,
running egencache after emerge --sync, etc.  I imagine that this is a
configuration that many developers will tend to use, and with the
advent of git we may see more users who tend to contribute doing the
same.

--
Rich