On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08/20/2015 07:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
>> As an alternative, we would use USE=client and USE=server along with
>> proper IUSE defaults to control client & server builds appropriately.
>> Both flags use positive logic, and REQUIRED_USE='|| ( client server )'
>> is rather clear.
>>
>> Does anyone see any real problems with that?
>>

> That increases the burden of managing configuration and further abuses
> REQUIRED_USE where it wasn't meant to be used in the first place.

I don't think Michał is encouraging the use of REQUIRED_USE.  It would
only be used in cases where you could only install a client or a
server, but not both.  I imagine that would happen rarely, if ever.

I support this approach.  Lots of other client/server packages are
moving in this direction, or even splitting the client/server into
separate packages in some cases (I'm not suggesting making the latter
mandatory).

The typical game would have IUSE="+client +server" and then users
could set -client if they want a dedicated server, or -server if they
want a dedicated client, or whatever.  It seems pretty intuitive to
me.

--
Rich