Patrice Clement posted on Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:11:32 +0200 as excerpted:

> @infra: do you guys have a public git repo hosted under
> http://github.com/gentoo ?

This what you're looking for?  See this thread:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/96933

While I didn't switch immediately, between that and the forum thread
(which I searched for, since that list thread's a couple weeks old, now)
on the topic, I just switched from rsync updates to git, pulling from the
github usersync repo now, since it has the metadata-cache added back in
that the main public gentoo git repo doesn't have.

FWIW, I switched layman over to using the github repos for the overlays I
follow (kde and x11 currently, qt and mozilla in the past) as well, for
the same pre-generated metadata-cache reason.

It's very *VERY* nice to be able to follow gentoo's git log just as I've
been following my git-based overlays and live-packages logs for years
now.  Individual commit resolution logs, stats, and if it looks
interesting, the actual diffs, are *so* much nicer and more detailed than
changelogs. =:^)