>>> We consider 5.01 and 5.010 as equal versions.

>> And do we still plan to keep them equal when we fix =*?

> Yes.

>> Would that mean 5.1 is the same as 5.10?

> No.

> RTFPMS, all the rules for version comparison are there:
> https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/5/pms.html#x1-290003.3

Well, maybe the following is easier to remember. The general idea is
that if any component (except for the first) starts with a 0 then it
is considered a floating point number. Therefore:

   5.1 < 5.10 (neither starts with a 0)
   5.01 = 5.010
   5.010 < 5.10 (first one starts with a 0)
   5 = 05 (first component always uses integer comparison)
   5.1_beta2 = 5.1_beta02 (suffixes always use integer comparison)

However, the rule also applies if there are additional components
before or after the one with the leading zeros, for example:

   5.01.2 = 5.010.2
   5.6.01 = 5.6.010

Ulrich