On 9/17/15 7:05 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:57:08 -0400
"Anthony G. Basile" <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:

Totally rethink the idea of emails aliases as something that is
created on the fly.  We just need to know who should get emails for a
package when it comes to bug reports.  Why can't that be calculated
on the fly from the metadata.xml?
I've not read every last part of this thread but I think I like where
this is going. I just want to be sure that people besides those in the
Java herd/project/whatever can continue to receive emails for
j...@gentoo.org. For instance, gnu_andrew is not a dev and does not
intend to be but he still likes to be CC'd on all Java mail. I would
not like to have to add his address to the metadata.xml of every Java
package.

Yes. If the metadata.xml contained both <project> and <maintainer> tags, it would go to all of j...@gentoo.org and to gnu_andrew. Already not all <maintainers> are devs.

To further address mgorny's objections, that's what bug-wranglers are doing now. I can see even automating the bug-wrangler step of assigning bugs. A python script could parse the bug title for a package name, obtain the metadata.xml, assign the bug to 1) project first, else maintainer by order, 2) cc the rest. bugzilla would then send out the emails.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]