On 09/16/2015 04:49 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> here's a quote from the Council 20140826 summary:
>
>> Dynamic dependencies in Portage
>> ===============================
>> During discussion, is was remarked that some changes, e.g. to
>> dependencies in eclasses, could require mass rebuilds of packages.
>>
>> Vote:
>> - "The council asks the Portage team to first outline their long-term
>>   plan regarding removal or replacement of dynamic dependencies,
>>   before they remove this feature. In particular, tree policies and
>>   the handling of eclasses and virtuals need to be clarified."
>>   Accepted unanimously.
>
> Since there seems to be interest in the Portage team to go ahead with that
> plan, I'd like to ask about the tree policies and the handling of eclasses
> and
> virtuals.
>
> I guess we'd appreciate this as a prerequisite for being able to give the
> plan
> future council support.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

could someone explain what the dynamic dependencies are in the context
of portage and ebuilds? because that does seem to be something
portage-internal specific in the way it handles changes in {,R}DEPEND
without revbumps. Where is this thing documented in the first place?

--
Regards,
Markos Chandras