On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:31:09 +0200
Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > The rationale is that we cannot apply patches in the default
> > src_prepare() unless there is a patch function in the package
> > manager itself. Obviously the default phase cannot call a function
> > from an eclass.
>
> well, that was the idea behind base.eclass :)
> why not just improving it ?

No, the idea behind base.eclass was that somehow ebuilds were "object
oriented", and that whenever you had "object oriented" you had to have
a single base class for everything.

It was a silly idea and we should all be glad it has been forgotten.

> - why should I ever want eapi6 src_prepare instead of
>   base_src_prepare ?

Well base.eclass is supposed to be being removed, and is allegedly
banned for all new ebuilds...

But the big gain for everyone is in replacing a weird, overly clever
and highly fragile collection of weirdness that's designed to mostly
accept any dodgy input, with one that just gets you to give it a sane
input to begin with.

--
Ciaran McCreesh