On 10/18/2015 06:36 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> Hi everyone, for your consideration:
>
> Title: Future Support of hardened-sources Kernel Content-Type:
> text/plain Posted: 2015-10-21 Revision: 1 News-Item-Format: 1.0
> Display-If-Installed: sys-kernel/hardened-sources
> Display-If-Keyword: hardened Display-If-Keyword: pax_kernel
> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/amd64 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/amd64/selinux Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/amd64/x32 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/arm/armv6j Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/arm/armv7a Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/ia64
> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/musl/amd64 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/musl/amd64/x32 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/musl/arm/armv7a Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/musl/mips Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/musl/mips/mipsel Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/musl/ppc Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/musl/x86 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc32 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/32bit-userland Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/64bit-userland Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64 Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/uclibc/arm/armv7a Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/uclibc/mips Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/uclibc/mips/mipsel Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/uclibc/ppc Display-If-Profile:
> hardened/linux/uclibc/x86 Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/x86
> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/x86/selinux
>
> For many years, the Grsecurity team [1] has been supporting two
> versions of their security patches against the Linux kernel, a
> stable and a testing version, and Gentoo has made both of these
> available to our users through the hardened-sources package.
> However, on August 26 of this year, the team announced they would
> no longer be making the stable version publicly available, citing
> trademark infringement by a major embedded systems company as the
> reason. [2]  The stable patches are now only available to sponsors
> of Grsecurity and can no longer be distributed in Gentoo.  However,
> the team did assure us that they would continue to release and
> support the testing version as they have in the past.
>
> What does this means for users of hardened-sources?  Gentoo will
> continue to make the testing version available through our
> hardened-sources package but we will have to drop support for the
> 3.x series.  In a few days, those ebuilds will be removed from the
> tree and you will be required to upgrade to a 4.x series kernel.
> Since the hardened-sources package only installs the kernel source
> tree, you can continue using a currently built 3.x series kernel
> but bear in mind that we cannot support you, nor will upstream.
> Also keep in mind that the 4.x series will not be as reliable as
> the 3.x series was, so reporting bugs promptly will be even more
> [...]

Looks like a good write-up to me. Concise and clear, with the URL for
those who care enough about the fiasco.

However, does this mean the hardened kernel package must stay in ~arch
since it's technically the testing version? Or would we keyword it
based on our own findings of stability?

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6