On 11/06/2015 08:34 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 7 November 2015 at 02:16, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> These days, if I'm careful to revbump when necessary AND limit my
>> commits to one logical change, can I wind up going from (say) -r1 all
>> the way to -r4 before pushing my changes.
>
> Personally I don't think that's necessary. The "-r bump on dep change"
> argument is a defence against installer limitations and the
> replication of changes to users.
>
> As your commits were never pushed to users to install from, you've not
> made a change that can visibly impact a single person, at least, not
> under "typical" usecases.

Sure, but the whole point of using logical commits is that somebody
might need to revert or check out one commit in a series. If you need to
undo an r5 -> r6 bump that modified RDEPEND, then you want the revision
to go back to r5, too, so that users rebuild it.

>> What magic is this? And how do I make it my default in gentoo.git?
>
> There's a lot of different parameters that take effect here:
>
> --find-copies-harder
> -M
> -C
> -B
>
> All have different effects on the verbosity and/or performance in
> different situations.

Niceeeeee. Thanks to you and Peter, I figured out that I can get away
with this in my .gitconfig:

  [diff]
      renames = true

If that ever doesn't work, --find-copies(-harder) should help.