>> This is wrong on so many levels. :( It starts with the fact that the
>> dot over the lowercase latin i historically never was a diacritical
>> mark [1].
>>
>> Maybe we should advise users in our documentaion that they should
>> avoid such broken locales for ebuilds?

> i'm not sure telling people their native language is wrong is a smart
> move.  it also would seem to cut against the purpose of the PMS.

There is of course nothing wrong with the Turkish language or writing
system.

However, if a language attaches meaning to the dot and uses it as a
diacritical mark, then it is (IMHO) not the smartest move to encode it
in a way that the letters I and i (which historically in the Latin
alphabet are upper and lower case variants of each other) are reused.
The sane thing would have been to encode the two Turkish i variants as
"LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE" etc.

Ulrich