On 22/11/15 05:51, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:01:21 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Alexander Berntsen <berna...@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:
>>> When I do QA in projects I'm involved with (at least outside of
>>> Gentoo), we don't do it live on end-user systems. I'll leave the
>>> details as an exercise for the Gentoo developer.
>>>

>> People who run ~arch are not really end-users - they're contributors
>> who have volunteered to test packages.
>
> I strongly disagree with you. We do not use stable even at
> enterprise grade production systems and HPC setups. Stable is just
> too freaking old in order to be usable for our purposes, not to
> mention that it lacks many packages at all. We tried stable
> several times, it just freaks out admins (including myself) too
> badly or results in horrible mess of stable and unstable which is
> less stable that unstable setups. I do not use stable at
> workstations and personal setups as well.
>
> Nevertheless I consider stable useful as stabilization process
> gives more testing for packages (and some fixes are forward ported
> to unstable versions). Of course I understand that there are people
> using it and I try to support stable packages as well, but these
> versions are mostly a burden and I can't really understand stable
> users.

Is the state of stable really that bad? I see this sentiment a lot.

I run mostly-stable systems and rarely have an issue with old/missing
packages (but I'm involved in the maintenance of many of the packages I
use so I try to keep on top of stable requests).

Are there particular areas that are lagging particularly, or is it just
in general?