On 14 Dec 2015 21:22, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> The spec seems incomplete. I cannot find a description of the user and
> group files' format. (But in fact, there is a standard format which
> suggests itself, namely that of the passwd(5) and group(5) files.)

i recall going with xml at the time, but i can't find reference to it.

> Also having whole directory trees seems wasteful and doesn't fit so
> well into the existing design of profiles. It might be simpler to put
> "user" (or "passwd") and "group" files directly in the profile.
> (If directories are really needed, we could use the scheme foreseen
> in [1] for package.* and use.* files.)

we implemented this GLEP in Chromium OS and have been using it for a while:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/overlays/eclass-overlay/+/master

having a directory of files is way more user friendly imo and allows for
a format that is easier to read.  /etc/passwd and /etc/group format are
not that easy to scan and aren't portable.

> Also a mechanism how a subprofile could undefine a user or group
> defined in its parent seems to be missing.

what exactly do you mean by that ?  you want to make it so attempts to
use the account yield an undefined error ?  or you want to have it so
a child can revert back to an earlier definition ?
-mike