On 02/14/2016 10:53 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On 02/14/2016 07:44 PM, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
>> On Sunday 14 February 2016 13:18:30 Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> Feel free to peruse the various list discussions and council
>>> logs. Most of what you're bringing up has come up before.
>> Thanks rich0, you seem to be reading my mind.
>>
>> This is turning into a severe case of "I didn't bother to speak
>> up earlier or volunteer to improve something, and now I'm unhappy
>> with what was decided and implemented."
>>
> Silly me for assuming that changes to metadata would not affect
> me. Or that tools would be adapted to the changes.
>
> Or that the changes would make sense.
>
> I don't have time to follow every little change, so it's quite
> annoying to reverse-engineer this change that apparently is a
> compromise that no one actually wanted, and hasn't really been
> finished yet. Sigh.

To be fair, if you're working on a piece of software that depends on
parsing metadata from ebuild directories, it's reasonable to assume
that one would want to keep tabs on metadata.xml or any other topic
dealing with the problem space.

A simple, "My project depends on metadata.xml and I use it in X way;
will I be affected?" may have added to the discussion.

As it stands, I believe we're moving to maintainer types. So selecting
via `type="project"` should be able to fetch the project that an
ebuild belongs to. We (i.e. Gentoo) are in the middle of deciding
whether to keep going with DTD or switch to another method (from what
I gather, to support this very case), so since you actually depend on
these files, why not educate yourself on the conversation and see if
you can contribute? It does nobody any good to sit and sulk while the
world changes around you.

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6