On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 01:22:13PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > The reason it exists is very vague to me; I think it has something to do
> > with claims of data loss in the past.
> >

> Is there some other event that will cause all filesystems to be
> remounted read-only or unmounted before shutdown?

When localmount/netmount stop they try to unmount file systems they know
about, but they do not try to remount anything.

> You definitely will want to either unmount or remount readonly all
> filesystems prior to rebooting.  I don't think the kernel guarantees
> that this will happen (I'd have to look at it).  Just doing a sync
> before poweroff doesn't seem ideal - if nothing else it will leave
> filesystems marked as dirty and likely force fscks on the next boot
> (or at least it should - if it doesn't that is another opportunity for
> data loss).
>
> There are different ways of accomplishing this of course, but you
> really want to have everything read-only in the end.

unmounting is easy enough; we already do that.

What I'm trying to figure out is, what to do about re-mounting file
systems read-only.

How does systemd do this? I didn't find an equivalent of the mount-ro
service there.

William